Updating your home décor in an effort to keep it feeling fresh and modern can get expensive. However, there are many budget-friendly ways to do it. Here are several techniques suggested by well-known interior decorators that match trends coming for 2020 for you to try.
Update What You Already Have
Before you go out and buy an expensive new piece of furniture, perhaps you can achieve what you are going for by refinishing, repainting, or recovering what you already have. Painting dark wood to lighten and freshen it up costs nothing more than the cost of paint and some elbow grease. Recovering upholstered dining room chairs is fairly easy to do.
Reupholstering sofas and armchairs can be more expensive than buying new pieces . Perhaps you can recover the sofa and chair with a slipcover. If you need to replace what you have, this is the place to spend what you can for good quality, timeless new pieces.
Pull it all together by using the same style in each space. Here are some on-trend suggestions for design:
- Get Closer to Nature: Let your décor bring nature indoors. Try wallcoverings with a nature theme – flora or fauna, think biophilia. You can achieve the look without covering all of your walls with expensive wallpaper. In fact, you probably want to avoid going to that extreme. Instead, do one wall as an accent wall, and choose a coordinating nature-inspired paint color for the other walls. Use nature inspired artwork, fabrics, rugs and throw pillows.
- Lighten Up Your Wood: Lighter colored wood that is inspired by Scandinavian style interiors is growing in popularity. Use it in furniture and on walls and ceilings. One area not to overlook is your kitchen. If you have dark cabinets, consider painting them or refacing them in a lighter color rather than replacing them.
- Create Your Own Art: Get creative and draw your own. Buy a single piece of the expensive fabric or paper and use it as a template for your own pieces. This is a great way to add your own personality into your decor in a fun and affordable manner.
Repaint Your Walls
Get the biggest impact for the least amount of money by repainting your walls. You can achieve a lot with the right paint color. Try using texture techniques that go along with your design theme. You can find lots of “how-to” instructions online and at home improvement stores’ paint departments.
Use neutral colors if you are planning to sell a home soon, or if you are wanting a timeless feeling that will feel fresh through several design cycles. Not only will fresh paint instantly update your home, it will make your home more appealing to potential buyers if you are updating your home with the intention of selling it.
Repurpose Pieces from Second Hand Shops
Buy good quality, gently used pieces from second hand stores and save money. You can find beautiful lamps, tables, and chairs that just need a little TLC and creative energy to repurpose into a beautiful one-of-a-kind item for your home.
Use the Right Accessories
Using the right accessories can instantly update your home. For example, replace outdated lighting fixtures with modern styles. You will be surprised at the difference this makes. Other accessories that make a huge difference:
- Mirrors – Hang updated mirrors in locations where they will reflect the most light. They will give the illusion of more space and the reflected light will brighten the room. In addition, mirrors add a touch of glam to any room.
- Window Treatments – Save yourself some money on new window treatments by making them yourself. Research online for how to make your own curtains or customize standard window shades. Make your room seem bigger and brighter by hanging your curtains as high and close to the ceiling as possible.
- Rugs – When you update your home, don’t overlook your area rugs. Not only will new area rugs freshen the room, they will pull the entire room together. A well-chosen area rug can provide texture, color, and style.
- Plants – An inexpensive way to bring life and nature into the room is to add in plants.If you have lots of light, try succulents that actually thrive on little water. If light is an issue, you may be happy to know that orchids do well in low light and little water.
Contact Robin Mathis at Mathis Title Company for More Information
If you are thinking about selling and buying a new home, work with a title company that can provide you with excellent title and mortgage financing services. You need to talk to Robin Mathis at Mathis Title Company and find out how she can help you finance your new mortgage without the usual hassles it involves.